ĚÇĐĶŻÂţvlog

Law & Courts

Judge Orders Trump Admin. to Restore Teacher-Prep Grants It Slashed

By Mark Lieberman — March 17, 2025 3 min read
Vector illustration of a dollar being repaired with tape.
  • Save to favorites
  • Print
Email Copy URL

The Trump administration must restore, at least temporarily, millions of dollars in grant funds it cut last month from three key programs supporting teacher-preparation programs nationwide, a federal judge ordered Monday.

The order for a preliminary injunction against the grant terminations, from District Judge Julie Rubin, warns of a “grave effect on the public” if the grant funds remained frozen. The Trump administration must reinstate the affected grants within five business days, the order says.

Rubin wrote that the U.S. Department of Education’s efforts to terminate the grants were “unreasonable, not reasonably explained, based on factors Congress had not intended the Department to consider (i.e., not agency priorities), and otherwise not in accordance with law.”

See Also

Vector illustration of a businessman's hands tearing a piece of paper in half with a large red dollar sign on it.
DigitalVision Vectors

The order to reinstate the grants covers funds awarded to the three organizations that filed the lawsuit—the National Center for Teacher Residencies and the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, along with its Maryland affiliate. Rubin is an appointee of former President Joe Biden.

Last week, a separate court order from a different judge ordered the restoration of recently terminated teacher-prep grant funds in eight states. The Trump administration unsuccessfully asked the judge in that case to pause that order. Meanwhile, some grantees in those states still haven’t seen their funding.

Trump administration failed to follow legally required procedures, judge says

The affected federal money was awarded in recent years to colleges and universities, school districts, and nonprofit organizations across the country through three grant programs: Seeking Effective Educator Development (SEED), Teacher Quality Partnership (TQP), and Teacher and School Leader (TSL) Development.

All three grant programs are enshrined in federal law, which only Congress can amend, and Congress has appropriated money for each one. The executive branch has some authority to rework grant priorities and cancel contracts but only if it follows specific processes laid out in the Administrative Procedure Act.

The Trump administration likely violated that law when it sent brief letters of termination to dozens of grant recipients in mid-February, Rubin wrote in the court order.

Grant recipients received letters from the Education Department in early and mid-February notifying them the government had terminated their contracts, effective immediately, saying the grant awards were “inconsistent with, and no longer effectuate, Department priorities.”

Those letters were inappropriately vague and offered too few specific details for recipients to appeal the termination, she wrote.

“How does one draft a â€brief statement’ of a â€disputed’ fact when one has no earthly idea what has been asserted, if anything?” Rubin wrote.

The Trump administration said last month that it was terminating those grants as part of its sweeping effort to slash federal spending, particularly related to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.

See Also

Master teachers Krysta McGrew and Justin Stewart work with their peers during a 5K cluster meeting at Ford Elementary School in Laurens, S.C., on March 10, 2025.
Master teachers Krysta McGrew and Justin Stewart work with their peers at Ford Elementary School in Laurens, S.C., on March 10, 2025. The Laurens district is among those who lost federal grant funding meant to provide performance-based financial incentives to teachers.
Bryant Kirk White for Education Week

In addition to the process concerns, plaintiffs in the lawsuit from the groups representing teacher-prep programs also argued that the terminations should be halted because of a . Rubin denied that portion of the lawsuit, arguing the termination letters were too vague for recipients to be able to assert that they were tied to any particular administration policy.

Programs funded by the terminated grants have moved in recent weeks to scale back programming, lay off staff, and even contemplate shutting down altogether.

The grant terminations prompted two lawsuits: one from the three groups that represent teacher-preparation programs and one from eight Democratic state attorneys general.

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Hidden Costs of Special Ed Vacancies: Solutions for Your District
When provider vacancies hit, students feel it first. Hear what district leaders are doing to keep IEP-related services on track.
Content provided by 
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Privacy & Security Webinar
How Technology Is Reshaping Childhood
How do we protect kids online while embracing innovation? Learn about navigating safety, privacy, and opportunity in the Digital Age.
Content provided by 
Budget & Finance Webinar Creative Approaches to K-12 Budget Realities
What are districts prioritizing in 2026? New survey data reveals emerging K-12 budgeting trends.

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.

Read Next

Law & Courts Birthright Citizenship Case Raises Stakes for Schools and Undocumented Students
Educators are paying close attention to the case on Trump's birthright citizenship order.
10 min read
President Donald Trump signs an executive order on birthright citizenship in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Jan. 20, 2025.
President Donald Trump signs an executive order on birthright citizenship in the Oval Office of the White House on Jan. 20, 2025. The order, now before the U.S. Supreme Court, seeks to limit citizenship for some children born in the United States to immigrant parents without permanent legal status.
Evan Vucci/AP
Law & Courts Appeals Court Revives Lawsuit Over 1st Grader’s Black Lives Matter Drawing
A court revived a 1st grader 's claim she was punished for giving a drawing to a Black classmate.
4 min read
Seen is the drawing made by Viejo Elementary School first-grader B.B. that was entered into evidence. B.B. gave the drawing to her classmate, M.C., who is African American. M.C. thanked B.B.
Pictured is a drawing by a 1st grader in California and given to a Black classmate that is at the center of a First Amendment legal challenge over the student's alleged punishment.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
Law & Courts Supreme Court’s Gender Identity Ruling Leaves Schools Seeking Clarity
Advocates say they would welcome more from the Supreme Court on gender-notification policies.
7 min read
The Supreme Court is photographed, Friday, Feb. 27, 2026, in Washington.
The Supreme Court is photographed, Friday, Feb. 27, 2026, in Washington. The high court recently ruled that California policies that sometimes limit or discourage schools from disclosing information to parents about children’s gender transitions and expressions at school likely violate parents’ constitutional rights
Rahmat Gul/AP
Law & Courts Supreme Court Backs Parents in School Gender Disclosure Fight
The Supreme Court restored an injunction blocking California policies on student gender transitions
8 min read
Teacher’s aide Amelia Mester, wrapped in a Pride flag, urges Escondido Union High School District not to have employees notify parents if they believe a student may be transgender in November 2025. A policy on the issue in the city’s elementary school district is the subject of a federal class-action lawsuit in which a judge just sided against the district.
Teacher’s aide Amelia Mester, wrapped in a Pride flag, urges Escondido Union High School District not to have employees notify parents if they believe a student may be transgender at a meeting in November 2025. Two parents and two teachers from the district sued in 2023, challenging California state guidance concerning student gender transitions and parental notification. The U.S. Supreme Court has now reinstated a lower-court decision overturning those state policies.
Charlie Neuman for The San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS